Above all other tips, the wisest one is to always trust professionally trained, qualified and experienced local pest control specialists with your issue. They know how to efficiently and cost effectively manage your pest control safely and have access to treatments which are only available to licence holders. DIY treatments are often inconclusive, counterproductive if you incorrectly identify a pest, and can be a waste of time and resources.
The long-established firm Pest Control Berkshire is registered under the BASIS PROMPT scheme. To enjoy membership, a firm must possess at least one of the following:
- The RSPH/BPCA Level 2 Award or Level 2 Certificate in pest control or above.
- The Royal Society of Health Pest Control Certificate.
- The British Pest Control Association (BPCA) Diploma, Part I or II.
The company’s operatives are trained by the British Pest Control Association, are regulated by the Health and Safety Executive and the company is certified by the Royal Society for Public Health.
Using specialists with guarantees on their work meets the requirements of most mortgage, maintenance, insurance and HSE objectives.
10 safe pest control tips:
- Many pests are opportunists. Effectively managing repairs, cleaning properties, work surfaces, food and drink leftovers and sealing bins are preventative actions which can negate the need for future infestation treatment.
- It is best not to approach a wasp nest or a bee hive. When a wasp senses an attack, it emits hormones to the other wasps in the nest. This can make pest control treatment a painful, sometimes dangerous, experience for non-professionals.
- Even a dead rodent presents health and safety risks so please think very carefully before taking any action yourself. Salmonellosis, Weil’s Disease and Leptospirosis are life threatening and can be carried by rodents.
- Specialist PPE may not be available on site but always protect yourself as much as possible.
- Handwashing thoroughly is imperative. Never touch anything else until washing has been completed. The area the pest was in should be cleaned too.
- Please don’t ignore a pest control issue; when pests like woodworm take hold, they can live for 2-5 years in timber and can cause structural issues as their consumption and tunnelling activities weaken the timber.
- Rodents can gnaw through electrical cabling and cause a fire risk. Be highly vigilant.
- Cockroaches release a pheromone in their droppings to tell other cockroaches they have found a safe home. Don’t give them any hiding positions.
- Local pest control services may cost more than DIY treatments but what price do you place on peace of mind? The HSE won’t be sympathetic to half measures. If you elect to try an over the counter treatment be aware of the chemicals and the risk to humans and animals in the property.
- Bird guano, the droppings, must be treated as hazardous waste and safe pest control demands that this waste is deposited in a designated space. Please, never leave guano in your standard refuse.
Confidence comes from a proactive, professional approach. Contact local pest control experts today.